The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is a little known organization that has been promoting responsible use of firearms for years. It is one of the most successful organizations that helps train young people in both the responsibility and the skills needed for handling firearms.
Dedicated to training and educating U. S. citizens in responsible uses of firearms and airguns, the CMP actively promotes gun safety through safety & training classes, marksmanship training and competitions. The CMP is a federally chartered 501(c)(3) corporation that places its highest priority on serving youth through gun safety and marksmanship activities that encourage personal growth and build life skills.
From the CMP web iste:
Statutory mission. The federal law enacted in 1996 (Title 36 U. S. Code, 40701-40733) that created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS, the formal legal name of the CMP) mandates these key “functions for the corporation:
- To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship;
- To promote practice and safety in the use of firearms;
- To conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors.
The law specifically states: In carrying out the Civilian Marksmanship Program, the corporation shall give priority to activities that benefit firearms safety, training, and competition for youth and that reach as many youth participants as possible.
The CMP operates nationwide through affiliates in every state. They offer:
- Accesss to state of the art CMP Ranges
- Tools to teach and promote Firearm Safety
- Sales & Service on military surplus rifles
- Competitions, fun matches and world class events
- Advanced Marksmanship and Technical Training
Gun Buyers Club supports the CMP and encourages our visitors and members to do the same.