SPRINGFIELD, IL – Celebrate Illinois while sampling the state’s great outdoors by visiting Conservation World at the 2018 Illinois State Fair, Aug. 10-19 in Springfield.
“The Illinois State Fair theme – ‘Celebrate Illinois – 200 Years of Amazing’ – highlights the Illinois Bicentennial celebration, and there’s no better way to enjoy a celebration than by having family fun outdoors,” said Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Director Wayne Rosenthal. “Head over to Conservation World during the fair and sample the natural wonders and outdoor recreation opportunities that can be found throughout Illinois.”
Conservation World is a 30-acre park with ponds, grass, shade trees and park benches located on the northwest corner of the Illinois State Fairgrounds, adjacent to the IDNR headquarters.
Among free attractions at Conservation World:
• The famous “Paul Bunyan Lumberjack Show” has performances every day at Conservation World; Monday – Thursday at 12 noon, 3 p.m., 6 p.m., and Friday – Sunday at 12 noon, 2 p.m., 4 p.m., 6 p.m.
• Voyageur canoe rides on the Conservation World pond, Aug. 10-12 and Aug. 18-19 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Kids fishing includes hands-on fishing clinics at the pond inside the Conservation World gate six times each day, with all bait and tackle provided, at 10:30 a.m., 12 noon, 1:30 p.m., 3 p.m., 4:30 p.m., and 5:30 p.m. Kids (age 10 and younger) can sign up at the Fisheries Tent and participate in free bowfishing daily at 11 a.m., 2 p.m., and 4 p.m.
• Fly Fishing Demonstrations for anglers of all ages are scheduled for Aug. 10-12 and Aug. 17-19 at 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 4:30 p.m.
• Youth Archery and BB Gun hands-on instruction is available throughout every day of the